Lecture’s a Double-Faced
According to David Daniels, the American colleges and universities are under
strong attack from many sectors. The instructors, with the responsibility of nurturing
the next generation, are not doing well on their position and students are not doing his
efforts on their studies as well. This turned out to be a huge stepping stone for
American business field quoted by David for suffering from those unenterprising and
un prepared employees. Therefore, he straightly pointed out the problem the
American education has, the lecture system. In David Daniel’s opinion, it is less
effective in a lecture course than in a small discussion class. In fact, as a college
student, I felt in the same way and it truly influenced me a lot while learning. Below,
there are reasons why I think it’s better to take small discussion courses.
First of all, lecture courses are held in a technical way. The reason why students
feel so unintentional is that the bigger the class is the less intention the professor has
on his students. For example, I have taken the lecture course last semester with a
purpose of broadening our knowledgement in each field and there were more than
2000 students in the course. Taking the course in a hall, I found great distance with
the speech giver and hard to have eye-contacts. Therefore, it’s hard to swallow down
those small pieces of words on the screen unless we have discussion in class which is
impossible in lecture course.
Secondly, taking notes tend to be the ONLY job in lecture course. Students
swiftly note down the words they just heard like a machine in a lecture class. Finding
this stupid and meaningless, I myself don’t agree with this strategy in class. In fact, I
always learn by listening because I can’t conduct two things at the same time. It’s
important to digest those bubbling senses or knowledge in class not wait until you
check your notes after class. It’s hard for me to concentrate in class while taking notes
at the same time but taking a few keywords are important and acceptable.
At last, learning is always a mutual thing among no matter students or students
and professors. I strongly believe that by sending out a mission of discussion among
small groups may clash out great ideas. In a small-sized class, it’s more possible to
hold small discussion in class which is impossible for lecture courses. By discussion
in a small group though not many members, I can learn from everyone else within the
group conducted by an explicit talking and exchanging of ideas. Furthermore, it’s
more likely to have chances to raise up a question in a small class and even to discuss
with the professor.
To sum up, we are well-informed by the thesis of David Daniels that it’s less
effective in learning while holding a lecture course. I myself agree on that with
reasons above. The importance of learning in a mutual way not in a technical way
cannot be over-stated. Though it seems to be a routine work going day by day, it
somehow influences the students indirectly. We might discover those bad
consequences not until we get into the society which is away too late to do any
amendments.

沒有留言:
張貼留言